Joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea will continue, said a Pentagon official on Wednesday (31/7), after North Korea conducted a missile launch test and called for the joint exercise to be canceled.
As reported by the AFP news agency, the confirmation that the annual exercise will continue to be held following a series of missile launches by North Korea, one of which is referred to as a "solemn warning for warring South Koreans."
But despite warnings by North Korea that joint exercises between the United States and South Korea could hamper negotiations with America, a senior American official said "until now there hasn't been any change."
The US government places nearly 30,000 troops in South Korea to defend the country, which was invaded by North Korea in 1950.
The joint US and South Korean military exercises have aroused the anger of North Korea which considers it an exercise or preparation to attack it.
North Korea launched two missiles on Thursday last week, followed by the launch of two more missiles on Wednesday (31/7), the South Korean military said.
The UN Security Council resolution prohibits North Korea from launching ballistic missiles.