DJIA25827.36
LIVE0(0.36%)
NDX10341.89
LIVE0(0.00%)

Trump Threatens Permanent Cut to WHO Funding


Tuesday, 19 May 2020 17:31 WIB

Global


c_740_198_16777215_00_images_assets_0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000ancaman.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump says his cuts to World Health Organization funding will go from temporary to permanent if the agency “does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days.”

In a letter to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Trump offered a list of criticisms that he says support his complaints that the agency has shown an “alarming lack of independence from the People's Republic of China” during the coronavirus pandemic.

"It is clear the repeated missteps by you and your organization in responding to the pandemic have been extremely costly for the world.  The only way forward for the World Health Organization is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China,” Trump wrote.

Among his specific criticisms, Trump said the WHO made repeated claims about the virus that were “grossly inaccurate or misleading,” that the agency did not properly pressure China for timely admission of international experts, and that it praised China's internal travel restrictions while being against Trump's decision to ban entry to travelers from China.

Tedros said last month of Trump's move to suspend WHO funding, “We regret the decision.”

On Monday, he defended the WHO's coronavirus response in an address to member states at the World Health Assembly.

Trump repeatedly praised China in the early months of the outbreak, writing in late January that the United States “greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency.”  In late March he tweeted: “China has been through much & has developed a strong understanding of the Virus. We are working closely together. Much respect!”

But as criticism of his own response to the outbreak mounted, Trump became more vocal in pushing for an investigation of China's response and accusing the country of not doing enough to stop the spread of the virus early.

Source : VOA


RELATED NEWS

POPULAR NEWS

DISCLAIMER

Seluruh materi atau konten yang tersaji di dalam website ini hanya bersifat informatif saja, dan tidak dimaksudkan sebagai pegangan serta keputusan dalam investasi atau jenis transaksi lainnya. Kami tidak bertanggung jawab atas segala akibat yang timbul dari penyajian konten tersebut. Semua pihak yang mengunjungi website ini harus membaca Terms of Service (Syarat dan Ketentuan Layanan) terlebih dahulu dan dihimbau untuk melakukan analisis secara independen serta memperoleh saran dari para ahli dibidangnya.