The Wall Street Journal newspaper reported on Wednesday (4/12), that the United States (US) was considering sending an additional 14 thousand more troops to the Middle East in the face of Iran's threat.
The deployment plan includes "dozens" of more ships and has doubled the number of troops added to US forces in the region since the beginning of this year, the daily said, quoting unnamed US officials.
It said, President Donald Trump could make a decision about the troop increase earlier this month.
A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment on the report to the AFP news agency.
The move comes after a series of attacks on cargo ships and tankers, drone and missile attacks on Saudi oil refineries in September allegedly carried out by Iran.
America has increased its military presence in the Gulf and expanded economic sanctions on the country which has increased tension throughout the region.
In mid-November, the US aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln sailed through the Strait of Hormuz. The show of US power is aimed at convincing all US allies who are worried about Iran's threat.
In October, US Defense Secretary Mark Esper announced that two combat squadrons and additional missile defense batteries were being sent to Saudi Arabia totaling around 3,000 new troops.
Source : VOA